It can be a real challenge to get a truly delicious, truly easy home-cooked meal on the table on a busy weeknight. Between jobs, household responsibilities and after-school ferrying of kids hither and yon, the thought of starting to grab pots, pans and ingredients at the end of the day could send even the most seasoned cook to the phone to order in dinner.
But this dinner is proof that you can have the best of both worlds – this is a family-approved meal that can be ready to pop in the oven in (drumroll please) 10 minutes.
The secret? Fresh tortellini.
Fresh tortellini is more versatile than you might have thought – and is the star of this delicious casserole. We’ve layered it with good quality jarred marinara (but you can make your own sauce if you’re so inclined), shredded mozzarella and baby spinach.
It bakes unattended in the oven, and is finished off with some freshly shaved parmesan – but feel free to improvise! Tuck in some bacon or crumbled sausage, and swap out the spinach for broccoli or zucchini.
Wanna get even more of a head start? Assemble this dish in the morning, so that it’s ready to go the minute you walk in the door (just add additional cooking time to get it heated through).
A simple salad, maybe some garlic knots and dinner is served. And best of all? You only have one dish to clean!
5-Ingredient Tortellini Bake
3 cups (24 ounces) marinara sauce
(2) 9-10 ounce packages of fresh tortellini (from the refrigerated section of the grocer)
5 ounces baby spinach
8 ounces shredded mozzarella
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees; grease a 2 ½ - 3 quart baking dish.
2. Spread a little sauce on the bottom of your dish. Top with one-third of the tortellini, followed by one-half of the spinach, followed by one-third of the mozzarella. Top with one-third of the remaining sauce. Repeat with one-third of the tortellini, the remaining spinach and one-third of the mozzarella. Top with one-third of the sauce. Finish with the remaining tortellini, sauce and mozzarella.
3. Grease a large piece of foil and place – greased side down – over the dish and crimp to seal. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Top with shaved parmesan and serve.